Date:      Thu, 9 Sep 1999 17:09:40 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
To:        "Rashid N. Achilov" <shelton@sentry.granch.ru>
Cc:        Bill Fink <bill@billfink.com>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTP Vulnerability

On Thu, Sep 09, 1999 at 08:54:08PM +0700, Rashid N. Achilov wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
>
> > > I've visited the mirrors for the WUFTP site(s) looking for the versions
> > > "after August 30" and there's NOTHING newer than MAY.
> > >
> > The versions we are talking about refer to the FreeBSD ports collection.
> > Port of wu-ftpd (/usr/ports/net/wu-ftpd) has been upgraded to apply the
> > following patch:
> >
> > ftp://ftp.wu-ftpd.org/pub/wu-ftpd/quickfixes/apply_to_2.5.0/mapped.path.overrun.patch
>
> On this site mapped.overrun... dated August,24.
> In ports tree in patches subdir newest patch dated April,7 :-)

Grr...  Advisory refers to version of the FreeBSD port after 1999/08/30:

:RCS file: /home/ncvs/ports/ftp/wu-ftpd/Makefile,v
:head: 1.30
:----------------------------
:revision 1.29
:date: 1999/08/30 19:14:03;  author: cpiazza;  state: Exp;  lines: +4 -1
       ^^^^^^^^^^
:Add a PATCH_FILE to close a security hole in wu-ftpd.
:
:Quoted from wu-ftpd group's accouncement:
:
:    Due to insufficient bounds checking on directory name lengths which can
:    be supplied by users, it is possible to overwrite the static memory
:    space of the wu-ftpd daemon while it is executing under certain
:    configurations.  By having the ability to create directories and
:    supplying carefully designed directory names to the wu-ftpd, users may
:    gain privileged access.
:
:PR:		13475
:Submitted by:	jack@germanium.xtalwind.net