Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 1999 23:55:35 +0100
From:      Adrian Wontroba <aw1@stade.co.uk>
To:        Greg Quinlan <Greg.Quinlan@swlct.sthames.nhs.uk>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More SCO Propaganda

(moving from stable to chat)

On Fri, Sep 10, 1999 at 11:37:50AM +0100, Greg Quinlan wrote:
> http://www.sco.com/profservices/linux/
>
> I see that SCO is coming to the rescue of OpenSource Unix environments, with
> risk assessment, stability, and most of all expertise.
>
> I quote:
>
> "we believe that SCO has the largest staff of Open Source experts of any
> commercial software vendor."
>
> "As a founding sponsor of Linux International, SCO is a strong proponent of
> the Open Source movement, citing it as a driving force for innovation. Over
> the years, SCO has contributed source code to the movement."
>
> ~~~~~
>
> It's just lucky for us that SCO is there to drive forward Open Source!!
> (huge sarcasm)!!
>
> Does anyone know if they done anything for FreeBSD Sability? :)

Not all the sarcasm is deserved.  Until I saw the light, and the cost
benefits, I ran SCO UNIX and then OpenDeathTrap.  SCO had quite a
positive attitude to what is now called Open Source.  Some of their
developers were very helpful and active in the SCO news groups and
mailing lists.  Header files and libraries were available for the base
system so that you could use gcc rather than the ever so expensive
development system (I think).  There were, still are for all I know,
the periodic Skunkware CDs, chock full of ported and compiled freeware,
which SCO would send to you for free.

Their claim to having the largest staff of Open Source experts of any
commercial software vendor could well be true.  I'm sure that they do
believe the Open Source approach and attendant innovation is overall
good for them.  While they will loose a few sales to organisations who
switch to Linux or *BSD, the majority of their customers seem to be
prepared to pay lots for the product, and more for support.

Yes, a competitor, but a friendly one.  They don't seem to have any
ambitions to take over the entire OS market, just enlarge their niche.

--
Adrian Wontroba