Date:      Wed, 15 Sep 1999 18:37:34 -0400
From:      "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
To:        John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
Cc:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, crossd@cs.rpi.edu
Subject:   Re: perl stangeness on 3.3-RC

> Umm, you can edit /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers to configure xdm to
> run say /usr/config/X (which would be stored on the local machiens hard
> drive) instead of /usr/X11R6/bin/X.  This is a much simpler solution.
> :)  (Just symlink /usr/config/X to /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_Whatever.)

Simpler?  It has modifications made on each machine rather in one file in
a central location.  Plus many things expect to find /usr/X11R6/bin/X
(ala startx and xinit), and we use this on multiple architectures, and some
network/diskless booting systems where mutliple machines share the same
root partition.   This is kinda moot however, since I am more interested in
what caused it to stop working in the first place.  It really seems to be an
a bug.  At glancing through the perl module that does this (Sys/hostname.pm)
it would appear that there is no PATH environ variable set when init is run,
and that is causing the last statemnt in each function block to fail, thus
making the whole block fail.  It is interesting however that the syscall
method isn't working.  FreeBSD doesn't have a gethostname _system_ call, but
it does have the gethostname() library call (which uses sysctl(2)).  Any
ideas how to get perl to use this?

--
David Cross                               | email: crossd@cs.rpi.edu
Systems Administrator/Research Programmer | Web: http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~crossd