Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 1999 17:30:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nick Sanders <fishy@hotbot.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/7914: no elf(5) manpage

The following reply was made to PR docs/7914; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Nick Sanders <fishy@hotbot.com>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, wosch@panke.de.freebsd.org
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 17:24:11 -0700

 Greetings.

 The manual page itself looks pretty good.  Though I can't verify its
 technical accuracy, I did find a few grammar things and typos.

 Please excuse any strange formatting that may occur in this email, since
 this is the first time that I've done this.

 The fields have the following meanings:
 e_ident
 This array of bytes specify how to interpret the file,

 I believe that "specify" should be "specifies".

 e_ident
 This array of bytes specify how to interpret the file, contents.  Within
 this array everything is named by macros, which start with the prefix
 EI_ and may contain values which start with the prefix ELF. The
 following macros are defined:

 Once again, should "specify" be "specifies"?  An array specifies, bytes
 specify.

 SHN_COMMON
 Symbols defines relative to this section are common symbols, such as
 Fortran COMMON or unallocated C external variables.

 Should "Symbols" be singular?

 The main difference between the 32-bit and the 64-but program header
 lies  only in the location of a p_flags member in the total struct.

 Should "64-but" be 64-bit?

 PT_INTERP
 The array element specifies the location and size of a null-terminated
 path name to invoke as an interpreter. This segment type is meaningful
 only for executable files (though it may occur for shared objects).
 However it may present it must precede any loadable segment

 The last sentence in this does not make any sense to me.

 .data
 This section holds initialised data that contribute to the program's
 memory image. This section is of type SHT_PROGBITS.  The attribute types
 are SHF_ALLOC and SHF_WRITE.

 Initialised should be "initialized".

 .init
 This section holds executable instructions that contribute to the
 process initialisation code.  When a program starts to run the system
 arranges to execute the code in this section before calling the main
 program entry point.  This section is of type SHT_PROGBITS. This section
 holds executable instructions that contribute to the process
 initialisation code. When a program starts to run the system arranges to
 execute the code in this section before calling the main program entry
 point.  This  section is of type SHT_PROGBITS. The attributes used are
 SHF_ALLOC and SHF_EXECINSTR.

 Initialisation should be "initialization" in both occurrences.  Is
 Initialize with an "s" a British spelling?

 .relNAME
 This section holds relocation information as described below.  If the
 file has a loadable segment that includes relocation, the section's
 attributes will include the SHF_ALLOC bit. Otherwise the bit will be
 off. By convention, ``NAME'' is supplied by the section to which the
 relocations apply. Thus a relocation section for .text normally would
 have the name

 .rel.text. This section is of type SHT_REL.

 Not sure if this is an error in the file or just my system acting
 funny.  I had an blank rule between "name" and ".rel.text"

 STB_WEAK    Weak symbols resemble global symbols, but their
 STB_LOPROC  This value up to and including STB_HIPROC are reserved for
 processor-specific semantics.

 Once again this may just be an error on my machine, but the STB_WEAK
 sentence cuts off as shown above.

 That is all I found this time through.

 - Nick Sanders