Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 1999 10:17:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      mwlucas@exceptionet.com
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   kernel config and sysctl

Well, I tried -questions, and met with a resounding silence.  jkh tells me
that you folks here are the only ones with the expertise to answer this
sort of question, so here you go.

I'm preparing a series of articles on FreeBSD's sysctl interface -- not
the inner workings, merely "What is sysctl, what is it good for, and how
can it solve my problems?"  The magazine editor specifically asked for it,
so I'm pretty sure it'll see print.  ;)

I've always had the impression that the sysctls available on a system are
dependent on the kernel configuration, but have never been able to verify
this.  I've gone through a variety of kernel source, but there's so much
of it I can't be sure I have a definitive answer.  I've also sat down a
couple times and built a variety of kernels, trying to verify this with
different combinations of options.  Either I've been picking the wrong
options, or the sysctls on a system are fixed.

Can anyone confirm/deny this?  What are some kernel options that carry
along their own sysctl trees, if this is the case?

Thanks,
Michael

--
Michael Lucas			|