Date:      Thu, 23 Sep 1999 10:39:32 +1000
From:      jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, domi <domi@saargate.de>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail: Receive mails for every subdomain

On Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 05:20:05PM +0100, Brian Somers wrote:

> > Is it possible to make sendmail route all mail to localpart@*.domain.com
> > to localpart@domain.com?
>
> Should be... if your MX is (say) mx.domain.com try something like
>
> .domain.com smtp:[mx.domain.com]
>
> in your mailer table and
>
> *.domain.com. IN MX 0 mx.domain.com.
>
> in your DNS.  See src/contrib/sendmail/cf/README for details.

i've been wondering about this sort of entry in the dns table
fro some time. i've asked several people about the posibilities
and have been told that this particular habit is frowned upon
and should be avoided.

also, i've been trying to glean some infromation from the bible,
aka mr craig hunts excellent tome 'tcp/ip network administration'
from o'rielly and assoc. also, the dns & bind book by the way a new
edition is out, ed 4 .. i think.

all i've namaged to get is conflicting stories ranging from
"its benign and not rela helpfull" to " it is the destruction
of dns as we know it", to say the least i'm confused as i'm
sure many others are who need this (same type of) facility.

some enlightenment would be apreciated.

warm regards and with much thanks in advance

cheers

jonathan