Date:      Sat, 25 Sep 1999 17:03:17 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        rknebel@uplink.net (Rick Knebel)
Cc:        jedgar@fxp.org (Chris D. Faulhaber), scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: scanner and scsi

Rick Knebel wrote...
> On Sat, Sep 25, 1999 at 08:11:16AM -0400, Chris D. Faulhaber wrote:
> > On Sat, 25 Sep 1999, Rick Knebel wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > I seem to be having trouble with my scsi scanner.
> > >
> > *snip*
> > >
> > > My problem is the scanner on bootup is listed as pass 4 but there is no
> > > pass4 in the /dev directory. I have tried to make it but if I do ./MAKEDEV
> > > pass4 only pass 0-3 are made.
> > >

> > ./MAKEDEV pass4 means that 4 pass devs are created (0-3).  Try ./MAKEDEV
> > pass5 to create 0-4.
>
> Hey thanks that worked.
>
> I do not know how much you know about scanners but now whenever I go to
> start up my scanner with xscanimage I get this message in my dmesg
>
> xptioctl: pass driver is not in the kernel
> xptioctl: put "device pass0" in your kernel config file
>

> This is strange because i have device pass0 in my kernal config.

Hmm, that is odd, since it does show up in your dmesg as pass4.  I'll have
to look at the diagnostic code and see if there's a bug somewhere.  Does
camcontrol work properly?  I know you can do a devlist, but that doesn't
use the pass device.  Try this:

camcontrol tur da0 -v

Are you sure that xscanimage is looking for a pass device?  Is xscanimage
in the ports tree at all?  A quick grep through the INDEX file doesn't
reveal anything obvious.

Some scanner utilities want a processor target (pt) device.  You might try
putting 'device pt0' in your kernel config file (and make sure you have
/dev/pt0 as well).

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry