Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 1999 18:12:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        ben@scientia.demon.co.uk (Ben Smithurst), chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Filtering port 25 (was Re: On hub.freebsd.org refusing to   talk to dialups)

> > > It is however based upon reality in the world of using web caches
> > > (which I don't see anyone objecting to) at ISP's to increase web
> > > access speed.
> >
> > I have no objection to web caches, no. I *do* have an objection to
> > having all traffic out of my machine *forced* to go through the ISP's
> > web cache. If I want to use it, I know how to configure my software to
> > use it (and I do use it), I don't need the ISP doing that for me.
>
> FWIW, most ISPs buy POPs (Points of Presense) from a big provider,
> and do not control the IP address assignment (even for static IP
> addresses) nor do they control the account name assignments, which
> must apriori not conflict with existing RADIUS records from the
> middle tier provider.

Technical correction, they do control the account name assignments,
which is done through domainized versions of RADIUS by apending
a @domain that is used by a local to the POP radius proxy to forward
the request to the correct client of the big provider.  Radiator
and Merit Radius both have this feature and are used extensivly
by the wholesale dialup providers.

We have contracts with some of these wholesale providers and we
totally control the account name portion.  We don't even need to call
them when we add/delete accounts.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX - (RWG25)                    rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net