Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 09:33:41 -0400
From:      Michael Meissner <meissner@cygnus.com>
To:        gregory.hosler@eno.ericsson.se, aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fast drives.

On Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 02:19:13PM +0800, Gregory Hosler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> does anyone have experience w/ a large (9 Gb or larger) fast/wide drive,
> running on a aic7xxx (obviously) at full speed (40 Mb/s), with tagged
> queueing enabled.
>
> The reason I ask is that I have a new IBM drive, I had to disable tagged
> queueing, and further slow it down to 34 mb to eliminate any spurious errors
> (that are otherwise described as "termination/cabling problems").
>
> I am looking for a new drive, and am interested to know of any success
> stories others might have.

Hmmm, I've had no problems with a pair of 9gig IBM 10,000rpm DRVS09V disks (I
think these are 9zx drives) in my x86, and my alpha just arrived with another
9gig 10,000rpm disks.  In both systems, I use the default 2.2.12 drivers.  The
x86 has an Adaptec 7896 built into the motherboard (Intel L440GX+) which has
two channels, and the two IBM disks are hooked up to the first channel as LVD
drives, and I hook up 3 older disks (2 Seagate Baracuddas, 1 Quantum Viking) to
the other other channel in SE mode.  The alpha has an Adpatec 7881 based
controller in it.

Off hand, it certainly sounds like a termination and/or cabling issue.  Note, I
believe most LVD capable disks need external active termination.

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions
PMB 198, 174 Littleton Road #3, Westford, Massachusetts 01886