Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 23:58:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        jer@jorsm.com (Jeremy Shaffner)
Cc:        fullermd@futuresouth.com (Matthew D. Fuller), jason@intercom.com (Jason J. Horton), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world question

[Follow up moved to _after_ the older text, the Way It Was Meant To
Be.]

Jeremy Shaffner wrote,
> On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
>
> > [This is more -questions fodder than -isp, moved there]
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 12:18:24PM -0400, a little birdie told me
> > that Jason J. Horton remarked
> > > Is there any way to keep a make world from building named?
> > > I see switches in /etc/make.conf to stop building of sendmail
> > > and perl, but not named. Every time I make world, I have to recompile
> > > my specially built named, it's starting to be annoying.
> >
> > 2 choices.
> > 1) Edit /usr/src/usr.sbin/Makefile and take out 'named'.
> > 2) Install your specially built named under /usr/local where it should
> > be, since that'll eliminate the whole problem set.
>
> This was something I've thought about myself.  Who else thinks a NO_BIND
> option (like NO_SENDMAIL) might be good in /etc/make.conf (with necessary
> .if's in /usr/src/*/Makefiles)?

I was thinking about this too! In my case, I made a hack to dump(8),
but I really doubt there is the call to make a NO_DUMP switch.

What I am doing is building a tree of customized utilities under
/usr/local/src; one that mirrors the structure of /usr/src. Right now,
I just go in before a buildworld and,

# cd /usr/src/sbin
# mv dump dump.dist
# ln -s /usr/local/src/sbin/dump .

And the buildworld makes my custom dump!

Now, if I had more things like that, I could easily (prolly) script
such a procedure or even design a /usr/local/src/Makefile to do all
that for me.

And for those who just don't want something built, they can put a "null"
entry in the /usr/local/src tree.

It seems like this might actually be something useful to a lot of
people now that a few others have asked. It would not be too difficult
to make the generic buildworld use the /usr/local/src tree in this way
automatically. I don't see what problems it could cause either. If you
didn't have a /usr/local/src, buildworld would be exactly like it is
now.

Just an idea... that I now wonder if someone may have proposed before?
(And for some reason was not added.)