Date:      Thu, 30 Sep 1999 07:29:06 -0500
From:      Jeff <jasapp@facevalue.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   loopback interface

I have a small problem.... I've been running Linux for the last
couple of years and two or three weeks ago, I decided to try the latest
FreeBSD.

I had just finished up installing fetchmail, and I noticed that when it tried
to hand it off to localhost it got an unreachable message. Sure
enough, when I ping localhost or 127.0.0.1 my packets make it all the way
to a router in Dallas.

I have the loopback interface built into the kernel, and I can see the
interface when I do a netstat -r. It isn't up when I do that, nor does
it have an ip assigned to it. I've brought the interface (lo0) up
and given it 127.0.0.1, and then I add a route like this.
route add -net 127.0.0.0 127.0.0.1
But that still didn't work.

I've dug through mounds and mounds of HOWTOs, FAQs, and man pages. Yet I don't
find anything on adding this route or how to do it. Is this something
that is setup by default and I've messed it up some how? If so, where
is file that adds the routes on startup?
Thanks in advanced.

Jeff

--
/*