Date:      Mon, 4 Oct 1999 09:52:23 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        taguchi@tohoku.iij.ad.jp
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Announce: New release of JDK1.1.8 for FreeBSD

> I've tested old and new JDK1.1.8 for FreeBSD and, JDK1.2 for Linux
> on the FreeBSD (3.3-Stable, using linux emulation).
>
> 			OLD 1.1.8	NEW 1.1.8	1.2(Linux Emulation)
> Average throughput	296		358		1343
> (message/second)
>
> My God .......

The new Linux uses a pretty decent JIT compiler that Sun compiled for
them.  Unfortunately, we don't have the resources inside of Sun to have
this provided for us, and the source code to the JIT is not available
for porting (at least that's the impression I get from talking to the
Blackdown folks).

However, you might try using one of the JIT's that support FreeBSD, such
as TYA and/or ShuJIT to see how much performance advantage they give.

Unless we get more 'vendor' support from Sun, we are essentialy
JITless.  I recomend all of you who have a vested interested in seeing
FreeBSD better supported contact Sun and encourage them.  This is how
Linux got supported, so it might also work for us..

Nate