Date:      Sat, 9 Oct 1999 22:41:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      tom brown <tmcb1971@yahoo.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Single character errors in source files, stop kernel compile!

Hi

I'm running FreebSD 3.3 on a AMD-K6 box thats totally
SCSI.
The controller is Adaptec 2940 and the drive in
question is
a 40MB/sec IBM 9GB (SCSI 3?)..

In the process of attempting to make a new kernel I
follow
the usual procedure.

%cd /sys/i386/conf/
%config KERNEL
%cd ../../compile/KERNEL
%make depend

Everything to this point completes and reports no
errors.

%make

This is where I start to get failures.  The compiler
will stop
with code 1 and will claim that the reason is a single
character
error in the source code.  A typical example would be
the word
"struct" spelt "strwct".  Clearly there is a problem
which I
doubt is the source code.

To work around this I just repeat the make command
again and
again until the job is done. then I install the kernel
and
reboot sucessfully.

Any ideas?  I'm tempted to think it's some kind of a
problem
with the drive, but I haven't had any real hard
failures.

The /etc/make.conf has -O2 optimization for the
kernel.

Ta!

Tom Brown

=====