Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 1999 11:50:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/14248: codify proposed style

The following reply was made to PR docs/14248; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To: Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 13:45:22 +0200

 On Sun 1999-10-10 (18:18), Tim Vanderhoek wrote:
 > > +	<para>When a starting tag which cannot contain character data
 > > +	  directly follows a tag of the type that requires other tags
 > > +	  within it to use character data, they are on separate lines.
 > > +	  The second tag should be properly indented.</para>
 >
 > First quoted line, do you mean "a starting tag which _can_ contain ..."?
 > Or do I misunderstand?  (In which case this last piece needs an
 > example!)

 I mean which cannot (or do not normally) directly contain character
 data, like <informalexample>, <itemizedlist>, <listitem>, and so
 forth.  I suppose there should be a name for it - block and inline is
 a slightly different distinction though.

 Things that directly contain character data, like <para> and <term>
 (there must be more) are the other type.

 I'll probably have a more coherent patch next week sometime, after
 my sysdev is over.

 > > +	<para>When a tag which can contain character data closes
 > > +	  directly after a tag which cannot contain character data
 > > +	  closes, they co-exist on the same line.</para>
 >
 > Although I realize this is how it's currently done, it seems a little
 > backwards...

 Ok, this is what I had in mind:

 <para>Ok, here we go!
   <footnote>
     <para>Well, not really, but almost!</para>
   </footnote></para>

 I like this way of doing footnotes, but I suppose we'd better make
 a decision on it. (see my programming-tools patch)

 Similarly:

 <para>Somehow the next list is in this para
   <itemizedlist>
     <listitem>
       <para>Survival</para>
     </listitem>
     <listitem>
       <para>Self-actualisation</para>
     </listitem>
   </itemizedlist></para>

 Where else would you like to put that closing tag?  I don't like this
 way too much either.

 Neil
 --
 Neil Blakey-Milner