Date:      Fri, 15 Oct 1999 23:41:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      ecsd <ecsd@ecsd.transbay.net>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   xpdf and the wholesale destruction of the X environment

Guess what. I issue "make clean" in /usr/ports/graphics/xpdf,
and it blows away any memory that X11 was installed as well.

That behaviour at worst should be optional. If I issue a make
clean, I expect xpdf's objects to be cleaned - not every damned
thing that xpdf ever heard of. I didn't touch X or libtiff or
libjpeg, so "make clean" has no business presuming it needs to
clean those out as well. This is a flaw in the design of the
recursive doohickey - dependencies on the way in are okay to
enforce, but make clean should stay local.

Thanks to "make clean" for xpdf, runtime support for xv was blown
away as well. Basically, I /have/ to reinstall X11 entirely to
compensate for the overeager "make clean". That is not intuitive,
and it is not warranted. I suggest this mechanism be reviewed in
the ports' makefiles to prevent unnecessary recursions and deletions
of a lot of things, most or all of which are entirely innocent
bystanders and otherwise unaffected by whether xpdf (e.g.) is
installed or not.

I don't have enough space in /usr to reinstall X and because the
packages fetch is broken between 3.2 and 3.3 I can't fetch X
as a package either without figuring out how to do it manually.

Really - I just wanted to install xpdf and now I have to reinstall
all of X too. Shades of Microsoft, tsk tsk. :)
*sigh*

-ecsd