Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 1999 19:21:44 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        van.woerkom@netcologne.de, conrads@home.com, aa8vb@ipass.net, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: flashplugin

Note: For those who don't know :
	JMF -- Java Media Foundation classes from Sun

With respect to the performance :

cygnu's java compiler is closely approaching the speed of C and yes I am well
aware of its status .

If the Windows people managed to write JNI libraries to boost
performance of JMF we can too. Prior to doing in any significant
work in this area , the first baby step is being taken : yuv->rgb + scaling
hardware assisted support for X. If anyone wishes to part take in this
project please send me private e-mail.

JMF applications on windows fly --- I used to watch two or three mpeg
movies on my "trash" PIII 450 box . Trash box because is where I just swap OSes
and do whatever I want with the system .  The player which I was
using http://www.burst.com is written purely in Java and I know because I used
to work for them.

--

 Amancio Hasty