Date:      Sat, 23 Oct 1999 15:50:32 -0400
From:      Vince Gonzalez <vince@nycrc.net>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Illegal instruction

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but it sure looks like one.

I wrote some code like this:

public class MyPanel extends JPanel {
	public Component add(Component c) {
		doSomeStuff();
		return add(c); // This is incorrect on purpose
	}
}

I know the line I've commented is incorrect (it should say super.add(c)).
When this code is run, java_X bombs out with SIGILL and dumps core.  I'm
thinking that it should instead die with StackOverflowError.  I can reproduce
this very easily, with code very much like the above.

{13}{vince@moe}$ java -version
java_X version "1.1.8"
{14}{vince@moe}$ uname -a
FreeBSD moe.nycrc.net 3.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE #1: Tue Oct  5 19:16:55 EDT 1999     root@moe.nycrc.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/MOE  i386

Of course the answer might just be 'So don't do that.'.  But I thought I'd post
anyway.