Date:      Tue, 26 Oct 1999 16:36:35 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "=?iso-8859-1?q?Jean-Pierre=20H.=20Dumas?=" <jphdumas@yahoo.fr>
To:        FreeBSD-Security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Security tests

This is to verify the security of a FreeBSD 3.2
server I am installing. To be used as a POP3 toaster,
with qmail and vmailmgr.

I installed and ran COPS (a really old one).
It screamed at me about the /var/spool/uucppublic
directory as beeing *world* writable.
It barfed on the passwd and group having the wrong
number of fields (I assume this is because of the
use of perl 5 vs perl 3 at the time of creation
of COPS, something like @_ changed meaning ?)
Question: is the permission of /var/spool/uucppublic
correct once in drwxrwxr-x ? (I do not use uucp,
but...)

Then I installed Nessus 0.98.3 on a SuSE Linux 6.2
(I could not build it, or run it on FreeBSD, I tried
to use the port and it failed in a way I don't
understand) and I did the scan of the server.
No big deal, the biggest problem
being that telnet is still the way to connect from
a Windows client. Sniffers are only a very remote
possibility in our context. (I have to check about
ssh, but it is not done yet.)

Question: What can I do more to have a realistic
report about this server's security ?

Is there any other scanners or whatever that I can get
and run, either from within the server, or from
outside (I have a FreeBSD 3.2, Linux and Windows 95
machine on the Ethernet)

Regards,

Jean-Pierre