Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 1999 04:38:08 -0500
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@mpp.pro-ns.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   xntpd & xcdplayer

I've noticed something peculiar over the past week or so with
xntpd and I think xcdplayer (from ports).  I am running xntpd
to keep my clock right.  I have an always on DSL connection,
so I almost never see any output from xntpd.

However, I've noticed that the past few times I've started
playing a CD with xcdplayer, I get the following out of xntpd:

Oct 27 04:10:44 mpp xntpd[153]: Previous time adjustment didn't complete

Which is somewhat odd, because the last message from xntpd about
adjusting the time was over 13 hours ago (and it was a 0.129016 s
adjustment).

Right now I am running a -current kernel from 10/17.  The CD drive
in question is an ATAPI device.  Vendor supplied generic CD drive
and builtin IDE on the mother board, so I have no idea what exactly
what hardware I have :-(.

Usually on the first spin up of the CD after a long period of
inactivity, the machine will "pause" (mouse won't move, etc...),
so I'm thinking that this might be causing something in
the clock code to suffer a small stutter and cause
xntpd to print out its message.

Normally I ignore whatever xntpd tells me, unless it reports
a large time difference.  But, tonight when I was checking my mail
and decided to listen to a CD while doing so, I got the
"Previous time adjustment..." message right away after starting to
play the CD.  And after thinking back, it seems to me that I see
more of around the time when I'm playing CDs, so it seems like the two
might be related.

It isn't a big deal to me, but I thought I would ask about it.

Now, if anyone wants to donate me a nice Adaptec SCSI controller
and SCSI CD drive, and maybe a hard drive....:-)

-Mike
--
Mike Pritchard
mpp@FreeBSD.org or mpp@mpp.pro-ns.net