Date:      Sat, 30 Oct 1999 21:19:16 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <s.mitchell@computer.org>
To:        Woody Poolson <woody@nosloop.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fast card recommendation

On Fri, Oct 29, 1999 at 09:15:04AM -0700, Woody Poolson wrote:
> > I am currently using the zircom 10/100 lan card and I get terrific
> > response both on 10 and 100 mb lans.  Have not really tracked speeds but I
> > get great download times on our network.
>
> I have a Xircom Realport 56K 10/100 combo card (no dongles to deal with)
> and would love to use it on my Sony VAIO running 3.3.3-RELEASE.
>
> What driver should I use and can anyone help with syntax for the
> pccard.conf?  I have seen that it uses the "tulip" drivers on LINUX.  It
> shows up under Windows initially as a DEC 21140 chipset.

Really?  Is this the PCMCIA or CardBus RealPort.  It makes a big
difference: the PCMCIA version uses some Xircom proprietary silicon that
I've written a driver for; I'd heard that the CardBus version used someone
else's hardware, seems it's the DEC part...

If you've got the PCMCIA model, the driver homepage is at
http://ukug.uk.freebsd.org/~scott/xe_drv/
and there's an archive of the mailing list at:
http://www.lovett.com/lists/freebsd-xircom/

CardBus support on FreeBSD is still under development, so you might be SOL
if that's what you have.  I don't have a CardBus machine, so someone else
will have to help you out there.

Cheers,

	Scott