Date:      Wed, 3 Nov 1999 00:54:16 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely.de>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Rodney <rr@xs4all.nl>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: feature list journalled fs

On Tue, Nov 02, 1999 at 12:35:53PM -0500, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Sunday, 31 October 1999 at 12:05:14 +0100, Rodney wrote:
> >

> > hi,
> >
> > here's my list of features I'd like to see in a
> > journalled fs. Have to admit this list is heavily
> > inspired ( ok , copied ) from the VxFS features,
> > apart from th buzz words,
> > some of them make sense, some of them don't
> > but it should give us some stuff to discus:
> > [snip]
> > 6) vinum integration (vague)
>
> Vinum is just a virtual disk.  As such, any file system should work on
> it.

It is more than that - it is a volume manager.
Maybe you are not clear how far you got beyound the virtual disk.
It manages disks and can find it's drive properly if they changed devices -
that's working relay fine that I was able to remove nearly all wire
configurations for drives and I'm eaven run a volume with only one single
drive plex - just to get this feature.
It can (or should be able to) resize a volume and should inform the system
about.
I have some ideas about how to get FFS resizeable without needing to freeze or
umount it before and without loosing inodes.
Vinum is the frontend for managing the size of the volume and it should inform
the fs driver about any change, because there is no need to manualy call an
additional tool.
My point is modifying FFS but that's the same for any fs.

--
B.Walter                  COSMO-Project              http://www.cosmo-project.de
ticso@cicely.de             Usergroup                info@cosmo-project.de