Date:      Tue, 02 Nov 1999 21:15:03 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   diskless boot roadmap (was:L Re: GENERIC build broken )

> On 1999-Nov-03 15:59:38 +1100, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> >:Well, bootp in the kernel has to die too.
> >
> >    Huh?  And replace it with what?  BOOTP is the only way to get an NFS
> >    root and swap.
>
> Sun uses reverse ARP to do this.  Reverse ARP _is_ a hack, but it _is_
> an alternative to BOOTP.

RARP would be a really bad move at the moment, since everyone else is
using DHCP.  For those that are still following, the roadmap looks like
this at the moment:

 - On the PC, we will be following the PXE lead, since that's where the
   market is going.  This basically involves using the PXE firmware
   which will talk to a PXE server to get the loader.  It can also be
   conned into using normal DHCP.  File transfer is either by MTFTP
   (multicast TFTP) or normal TFTP.  The loader will do plain DHCP and
   use NFS to get the kernel straight out of the prospective root
   filesystem.

   Please don't complain about how ugly PXE is.  It's the closest thing
   the PC world has ever seen to a sane network boot architecture.
   You're welcome to go work on RPL if you want some perspective. 8)

 - On the Alpha, diskless booting involves BOOTP/TFTP to fetch the
   loader.  The loader will then happily use BOOTP or DHCP again (since
   SRM is too stupid to tell _us_ what it discovered) and NFS to read
   the kernel from the root filesystem.

As you can see from the above, there's no call for RARP, bootparam, RPL
or any other form of mumbo-jumbo.  There's also no call for the kernel
to do any of this work; the loader will do it all and pass it in to the
kernel in a format it can use directly.

What is currently missing, you ask?

 - The loader DHCP code needs to be written.
 - The kernel needs to improve the way it handles interface
   configuration information passed to it by the loader.
 - We need more PXE work done for the i386 loader.  Intel are helping
   here a little, but I could use a couple of extra hands to get this
   done sooner rather than later.

That's about it; we're almost there.