Date:      Wed, 03 Nov 1999 10:00:17 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GENERIC build broken

> :>     I think there is only one thing that will ever allow us to remove
> :>     the BOOTP code from the kernel, and that is if a time comes when
> :>     the BIOSes for all standard off-the-shelf motherboards all have
> :>     the ability to set a boot-from-network option.  When/if that ever
> :>     occurs, then we will be able to remove the code.
> :
> :Please take a few minutes to go to developer.intel.com and read about
> :PXE.  Note that it's card-centric, not board-centric, so it doesn't
> :require any buy-in from motherboard vendors.  Also, because it's
> :software only, there are already third-party vendors with software for
> :most cards on the market.
>
>     Mike, you aren't listening to what I am saying.  Go back to my last
>     email and read it again carefully.  All the standards in the world
>     for network card operation won't help you until the BIOS actually
>     tries to use them directly.  PXE sounds cool, but coolness doesn't
>     count unless all the motherboard manufacturers start using it.

I'm offended, and a little amused.  You say "you aren't listening to
what I'm saying", yet you have quoted a paragraph in which I say
"... it doesn't require any buy-in from motherboard vendors."

Are you calling me a liar, or stupid, or are you not reading what I'm
saying?  Clarification here would help me to decide how to treat your
further responses on this topic.

Note that in either case, you're wrong.  PXE doesn't require any action
on the part of motherboard manufacturers at all.  You're welcome,
should you care to take my earlier device, to add some brief study of
the int 19 boot vector chain and the PnP device option ROM interface to
your reading list.  I note that you haven't even looked at PXE yet.