Date:      Wed, 3 Nov 1999 16:14:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        cmsedore@mailbox.syr.edu
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: aio Functions

In article <Pine.SOL.4.10.9911031756080.24901-100000@rodan.syr.edu>,
Christopher Sedore  <cmsedore@mailbox.syr.edu> wrote:

> I've got a set of patches that fix this and the fact that signals don't
> get issued for completion on certain types of requests.  I'm hoping to get
> it committed, but feel free to contact me for the latest stuff until then.
> I just finished updating and consolidating my patches so they cleanly
> apply to -current of a week ago.  Testing thus far appears promising--I'm
> balancing more than a few sockets and pushing 10MB/sec through them (disk
> to socket and the inverse).  I killed the last bug I knew of this week
> (occasionally paniced under some wierd process shutdown conditions).
>
> I hope to try 1000 descriptors soon.

That's great news!  So have you gotten rid of some of these absurdly
low fixed limits?

    vfs.aio.max_aio_per_proc: 32
    vfs.aio.max_aio_queue_per_proc: 256
    vfs.aio.max_aio_procs: 32
    vfs.aio.max_aio_queue: 1024
    vfs.aio.max_buf_aio: 16

And worst of all:

    #define AIO_LISTIO_MAX          16

John
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron