Date:      Thu, 04 Nov 1999 18:54:11 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp (Kazutaka YOKOTA), Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Subject:   Re: vga driver and signal

> On 05-Nov-99 Amancio Hasty wrote:
> >  Your idea sounds intriguing . How should we wired the KLD to
> >  the X server? or how will the KLD inform the X server that it
> >  has received a vertical retrace interrupt .
>
> It depends what you wanted to do, but you could have the X server feed the KLD
> commands to do on a vert refresh, and when it happens the commands are executed
> in kernel mode, which would save you a lot of time.
>
> Kind of complex though. Also the interrupt latency problem is still there.

Not sure that this is as elegant as what you are suggesting , can
the kernel schedule a user level routine to be executed when an interrupt
occurs? I guess on Windoze land this is called a driver call-back.

Just trying to prevent dragging the whole X server to the kernel --
Actually dragging the whole X server to the kernel is not a bad
idea --- however it is something that I can not afford to do right now :(

--

 Amancio Hasty
 hasty@rah.star-gate.com