Date:      Sat, 6 Nov 1999 23:52:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Sean Eric Fagan <sef@FreeBSD.org>
To:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   cvs commit: src/sys/miscfs/procfs procfs_vnops.c

sef         1999/11/06 23:52:03 PST

  Modified files:
    sys/miscfs/procfs    procfs_vnops.c
  Log:
  Make an incredibly stupid change because Warner threatened to do it and
  continue doing it despite objections by me (the principal author).

  Note that this doesn't fix the real problem -- the real problem is generally
  bad setup by ignorant users, and education is the right way to fix it.

  So while this doesn't actually solve the prolem mentioned in the complaint
  (since it's still possible to do it via other methods, although they mostly
  involve a bit more complicity), and there are better methods to do this,
  nobody was willing or able to provide me with a real world example that
  couldn't be worked around using the existing permissions and group
  mechanism.  And therefore, security by removing features is the method of
  the day.

  I only had three applications that used it, in any event.  One of them would
  have made debugging easier, but I still haven't finished it, and won't
  now, so it doesn't really matter.

  Revision  Changes    Path
  1.73      +1 -2      src/sys/miscfs/procfs/procfs_vnops.c