Date:      Tue, 9 Nov 1999 03:52:26 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   sysinstall bug?

Hi,

Last week I installed FreeBSD 3.3-stable at a friend (to be
exact:  the 19991101 snapshot, which was the most current one
at that time).  Everything went smoothly, but there was one
thing which made me wonder...

Personally, I never use sysinstall to change any settings, but
I edit /etc/rc.conf directly.  However, that friend comes from
the Windows/Linux camp and is used to use GUIs and stuff (he
also uses Midnight Commander as root *shudder*), so he used
sysinstall to change various settings.  Well, that's OK.

But when I had a look at the system later that day, I noticed
that /etc/rc.conf had gotten longer and longer.  Each time he
ran sysinstall, it obviously appended a line like this:
   # -- sysinstall generated deltas -- #
and then blindly appended the new settings.  This resulted in
a lot of duplicate (and contradictory) entries.  Of course, it
worked (because the latest entries override the preceding
ones), but the whole file was a great mess.

Now my question is:  Isn't sysinstall supposed to look for
existing entries in /etc/rc.conf and _replace_ them, instead
of always appending?  What purpose does that "generated deltas"
line have?  Did we do anything wrong?
Should I send patches?  :)

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)