Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 1999 01:27:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@kot.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        Jamie Norwood <mistwolf@mushhaven.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ldconfig finding libraries, but ld is not.

Jamie Norwood once stated:

=> IIRC,  both ldconfig(8)  and  LD_LIBRARY_PATH are  for the  _runtime_
=> shared library linker and have nothing to do compiling programs.
=
=I  actually have/had  a PR  open on  this, as  it is  non-intuitive and
=non-standard to both not  include /usr/local/lib and LD_LIBRARY_PATH in
=the search path when compiling;

Mmm, "standard"? What  standard are you refering to?  "Intuition" is too
subjective...

=I even on one machine went so  far as to install everything in /usr/lib
=just so things compile sanely for my less than FreeBSD-savvy users, and
=am currently looking into migrating to Linux to fully cure the problem.

Now, that's a threat :) AFAIK,  on Linux the self-built packages tend to
also  install  into /usr/local.  Depending  on  the C-compiler  in  use,
/usr/local/lib may  or may not be  present in the default  library path.
The later versions of  GCC (egcs) seem to include it  -- on FreeBSD too,
which is, probably, an oversight of the porter.

I don't see what  your problem is, to be honest.  Your "users" will have
to learn  how to add  directories to  the link-time search  path anyway.
They will  have libs in their  own ~/lib and other  locations, which can
not all be listed as  default. Also, remember about /usr/X11R6/lib. Some
will want /opt/lib as well, etc.

	-mi