Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 1999 01:03:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        billm@danger.ms (Bill Marquette)
Cc:        stabilizer@klentaq.com (Wayne M Barnes), freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Stable)
Subject:   Re: ethernet hard or soft failure

> On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> > >     No luck so far.  Every weekday between 1 and 4 or so, my NIC card stops
> > > transmitting across the network.  The console is stays up, but no pings
> > > can get out, nor can anyone log in from anywhere else.
> >
> > What does the link light on the hub show is going on?  Usually when I see
> > this thermal problem the hub light will either be going nuts, or on the
> > partitioning hubs it shows the port has gone into jabber mode and has
> > been partitioned out of the network.
>
> For me the hub has always been sitting there with a solid link light
> showing no activity.  I should point out that I run -CURRENT as it's a
> personal workstation and I'm doing some development work that would
> benefit from being done on -CURRENT.  I'm merely dropping in on this as
> I'm having similar issues.

Okay, but like you say latter, this may be a -current issue, which I don't
run much of around here except when I am trying to get some news bits ported
over from -current to -stable.

> > This could perhaps lower the thermal temperature in your chassis, please
> > check your ventalation and internal temperature.  Look for dead power
> > supply fans, etc.  Oh, and look for an Intel branded DC21x4x chip...
>
> None of the above I'm afraid.  The machine in question is running an
> original 10MBit DEC card from well over a year ago now with NO problems
> until I switched to FreeBSD.

Okay, I have not seen this problem on older cards, though it started to
happen with cards made in early 1999, and I should mention it only
seems to inflict the DC2114x cards, I had been saying 21x4x, but it
is only the 100Mb/s cards.

> As for heat, I'd buy that three months ago,
> there's now so damn many fans in this case adding another one would only
> increase noise and not help temperature and the only fan blowing out warm
> air is the one in the power supply.

Ahhh... lots of fans is not always the correct solution to thermal issues,
especially when you let me know that they are all inlet fans except the
one exhaust fan.  You have a high positive pressure created if your inlet
CFM exceeds your outlet CFM and this can cause really strange airflows
inside the chassis.

Also when I here ``blowing out warm air'' it does infact tell me that
a significant temperature rise is occuring inside the chassis some place,
and that is bad news.  Proper airflow through a chassis should cause less
than a 5 or so degree C rise.  The exhaust air should not feel warm to the
human hand, if it does something is wrong with the cooling system.

You might try flipping the direction on some of your fans so that the
number of fans blowing air out of the chassis is somewhat closer, but
still slightly less than the number blowing in.  This retains the anti-dust
measure of having a positive pressure chassis (assuming the inlet fans
have filters over them ;-o) and often produces much better cooling.

> As I've posted on the -CURRENT lists, I can duplicate the issue by raising
> the network load to around 100K/sec...usually I see the NIC die w/in
> minutes.  For reference, my 3com 3c905 card would just die with a no route
> to host error and then eventually come back; this again is with near no
> network activity and at the time a screensaver (Matrix from KDE to be
> precise).

Any more data than ``just dies''?

> Anyways, I'll be trying out -STABLE on this machine this weekend sometime
> cause my problems are probably a -CURRENT issue that nobody else is
> having.  Just trying to get to the bottom of it and grabbing on to ANYONE
> standing nearby ;-P

Thats probably a safe move :-)

> Thanks!!!
Welcome..