Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 1999 13:57:47 -0500
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@mojave.sitaranetworks.com>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, Tom Embt <tom@embt.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   NT reliability (was: Microsoft service packs... (was many other threads...))

On Friday, 19 November 1999 at 15:23:04 +0000, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Nov 1999, Tom Embt wrote:
>
>> Perhaps one cannot mention NT without feeling an intense need to vent
>> frustration.
>>
>> As for Win2K, I crash it constantly, but I think it's mostly a "video
>> driver thing".
>
> My friend (MCSE) is on site right now.. NT is crashing left and right,
> with no indications why.  He's swapping memory right now...
>
> Here's the scoop (as i see it):  Unix excels at networking and efficiency.
> It tends to be a little weak in ease-of-use.  Windows excels on the
> desktop because it shields users from complexity.  But it wasn't designed
> from the ground up for networking, and that is its handicap.  Shielding
> users is one thing, but sheilding admins from important info is a poor
> idea.  All the layers in NT _seem_ to make it difficult to get an accurate
> picture of what is going wrong further down.

I was witness to an amusing incident here recently.  The guy in the
next cube runs NT for some obscure reasons, and suddenly he couldn't
access some network service.  After several attempts, we discovered
that the Ethernet connection was no longer functional.  I discovered
that there is some kind of log file in the system, but nobody was able
to determine the cause.

It doesn't seem to be possible to stop and start interfaces on NT;
instead, you reboot.  Not what I would expect of any good OS, let
alone a "server" OS (whatever that means).  So we rebooted.  No go.
Changed the Ethernet board.  No go.  Changed the cable.  No go.  Put
all the old stuff back and booted PicoBSD.  Go.

OK, we thought, it's NT's fault.  Reboot NT.  Go.

The only explanation we can think of is: if you have problems with NT,
threaten to replace it with FreeBSD.  That'll scare it into behaving.

Greg