Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 13:51:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: speaking of 3.4...

Mike Smith once wrote:

> > The inability to  boot after a seemingly  successfull install should
> > be eliminated...

> The only way to guarantee this is  to cause the install to fail unless
> the installation program can be 100% certain of the bootability of the
> install.

You know, a very similar answer was given to me a couple of years ago on
this very forum (may be on -current). Back then, the inability to detect
over 64Mb of RAM was the issue.

Both problems  are related to the  majority of PC BIOSes'  brain damage,
but  somehow other  operating systems  manage  to work  around the  said
damage. I don't know if it  is the installer or the kernel's root-device
seeker (or both), that need to be made even smarter, but something needs
to be done.

Of course, the statements like this  do not solve the problems. But they
put them into  spotlight... Then, may be, that's not  what's needed? The
64Mb problems, AFAIR, was only addressed after some magazine benchmarked
FreeBSD against Linux  on a 128Mb machine and we  sucked because we were
only using 64Mb...

	-mi