Date:      Sun, 28 Nov 1999 21:05:37 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
Cc:        Ade Lovett <ade@lovett.com>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org, Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>, "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>
Subject:   Re: ports/15135: new port: devel/cervisia

On Sun, Nov 28, 1999 at 09:35:16PM -0500, Will Andrews wrote:
> frankly, I've wondered why gcc 2.91.66 wasn't MFC'd to 3.x long ago
> (David?). After all, it's been in -CURRENT for several months (at the
> very least).

I guess I'm not so agaist it as I was.  I was asked if I thought a MFC
for 3.3 was reasonable.  I said no.  My real concern is that parts of the
kernel and userland had to be tweaked when I brought in EGCS.  I don't
know what those changes were at this point.  So it is more effort than
just a MFC for the compiler.

> the earliest version (that I know of) which supports the newer ANSI ISO C++
> standards. That is, the new standard apparently not supported by the
> older gcc.

I'm confused why the `egcs' port can't be used in -STABLE.  That ports
gives you GCC 2.95.2, with many of the FreeBSD specific changes.

> Can we not MFC gcc 2.91.66 to RELENG_3 for a future version of 3.x?

We are approaching code freeze for 3.4, so there certainly isn't time to
MFC for 3.4.  My guess is that 3.5 will be the last 3.x released version.
So it isn't worth the effort at that point.

> > If such a change does happen, it may also be worth considering synchronising
> > it with a move to USE_NEWGCC for the GNOME metaport

I personally see this as the best approach, and one that doesn't really
cause any problems.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com)