Date:      Thu, 2 Dec 1999 09:50:36 -0600 (CST)
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>
To:        aLan@fil.net (aLan Tait)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG (freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG)
Subject:   Re: Chat Only???

> My partner wants us to offer a "chat only" service (no http,
> ftp, email) and I think I can do it with a simple filter,
> but am having a bit of a time locating the filter info.
> TCP/UDP and port info???  This is what I have...
>
> IRC TCP ports 6659-6670 and 7000
>
> ICQ UDP port 4000  (Any others?  No TCP?)
>
> Freetel  Maybe TCP port 30000???

You'll find ircd on all sorta ports, but yeah, you'll need to give them at
least ports 6659-6670. Also make sure that ircd can connect back to their
identd port.

This will prevent irc/icq users from transferring files between each other
though, since the clients negotiate random port numbers.

You know this really won't stop someone from using other services as well. I
could bind a socks proxy or PPP over TCP link to a port in that range, and
do whatever I wanted. :)

Kevin