Date:      Thu, 02 Dec 1999 20:08:38 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
To:        "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, Jeff <jeff@simplenet.com>
Subject:   ATI Mobility & XFree86 3.3.5

OK,

     I've got an alpha-release ready.  I've tested it on my Dell
Inspiron 7500 in 1024x768x64k and 1400x1050x64k modes.  I think it'll
work only in 64k-color modes.  However, I have no idea if it'll work on
other laptops.  Binaries and sources/patches are included.

     I've also stamped it with the following warning:

  DANGER!  Although I do not know of any such problems with the software
  in this kit, it is possible for software to damage the LCD
  display/circuitry in some laptops.  Be aware that this software might
  cause physical damage to your laptop, which could be very expensive to
  repair.  Use this software at your own risk.

The only laptop, of which I'm aware, that can supposedly be damaged, is
the Compaq Presario 1610, which uses a different video chipset
(Neomagic -- see http://www.precisioninsight.com/faq.html#neocpq).
I don't think there's a problem with the ATI Mobility chipset, but this
X server hasn't been tested much, and so I'm mentioning this
possibility.

     That said, you can get the kit in the directory:

	ftp://ftp.sonic.net/pub/users/darrylo/freebsd/

Look for the file:

	XFree86-3.3.5-FreeBSD-3.3-Inspiron7500.tar.gz

Start with the top-level README file.

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@sr.hp.com