Date:      Wed, 8 Dec 1999 18:04:57 -0500
From:      Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: wd driver will be retired!

On Wed, Dec 08, 1999 at 12:52:37PM -0800, Mike Smith wrote:
> > Unfortunately, FreeBSD has far too many examples of a working system
> > being replaced with a less functional system.  Just off the top of my
> > head, there were the SCSI drivers lost to CAM, the PCCARD system,
> > sound drivers, and now ATA.
>
> Actually, most of this is histrionics.  CAM didn't lose us SCSI drivers;
> we actually _gained_ from it.

We gained quite a bit from it, but let's not rewrite history.  I
remember quite clearly that there was a very popular Adaptec SCSI
controller missing when the switch to CAM was made, and a lot of
people were inconvenienced.  That is a matter of recorded historical
fact.  Please don't misinterpret me; I am not suggesting that CAM
shouldn't have happened, that anyone did anything wrong or that it
should have been handled differently.  I am merely pointing out
that "CAM didn't lose us SCSI drivers" is inaccurate.

> We haven't "lost" the pccard system at all

Again, this is not accurate.  I have a laptop with which, two months
ago, I could use my LinkSys ethernet card, and I could use my digital
camera's compact flash adapter.  I could eject them and put them back
in numerous times.  I could suspend and resume.  Due to some changes
in the pccard system, I can no longer do these things.  Due to some
more recent changes, I can't even use my wireless IP card at all.  So
it is a simple matter of fact that functionality has been lost.  Of
course it is only temporary.  Once again, I ask that you don't
misinterpret this simple statement of fact as a complaint or attack.
Warner's pccard work was desperately needed and I am confident that
eventually everything will be back and better than ever.  And I am not
only willing, but happy to deal with these problems that I have
brought upon myself by choosing to run -current on my laptop.

> and the new sound code is on a feature-par with both of the old ones.

When it works, it works very well.  But again, the fact is that I had
sound on this computer three years ago.  I had sound a few weeks ago.
Then I didn't.  Then it came back.  Now it's gone again.  It'll
probably come back next time I build a kernel (I have an AWE64).  But
the fact is that something WAS lost:

$ cat > /dev/audio
zsh: device not configured: /dev/audio

> What we need here is a commitment to these new initiatives, not a lot of
> fence-sitting and clutching our knitting to our chests.  All of these
> initiatives were started to deal with massive problems in the subsystems
> they replace; clinging to the old code rather than getting on-board and
> helping with the new code directly impedes the resolution of these
> problems.
>
> Again, I say, think of what we're trying to achieve here.

I fully agree that these things are neccessary and good.  I just think
we need avoid jumping the gun on removing the old code, when some
people still need it to boot their machines.
--
Christopher Masto         Senior Network Monkey      NetMonger Communications
chris@netmonger.net        info@netmonger.net        http://www.netmonger.net

Free yourself, free your machine, free the daemon -- http://www.freebsd.org/