Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 02:33:10 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Oliver Blasnik" <ob@omnilink.net>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Again: CRD-Raid-Controller and FreeBSD 3.x

>> Mike Smith wrote:
>>
>> > No.  FreeBSD starts assuming that a drive will handle 64 tags, but it
>> > expects that the drive will correctly report a queue-full condition so
>> > that it can dynamically adjust this number downwards.
>>
>> And this could not work as far these maximum of 32 commands is host-based, not lun-based.
>
>That would depend on the configuration of the unit.  It'd work well for
>the single-drive case.
>
>> > This may solve the "problem", but it will substantially degrade
>> > performance in the case where there's only one array on the controller.
>> Right. But on the other hand enables tq without bothering on system-crashed :)
>> Better slow than not running.
>
>Perhaps.  Better fixed firmware than terrible performance.

   I've been reading all of this and I'm still wondering what this is all
about. TeraSolutions has many of the CRD-5440-104 (LVD version) controllers
in the field and have never had problems with them.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.