Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 12:40:34 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syscons extension: "propellers"

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote in list.freebsd-current:
 > > Just in case somebody is curious, here's a screenshot:
 > > http://www.fromme.com/propellers/
 >
 > That looks very interesting...  It's just screaming for some kind of
 > mechanism which allows you to kldload the propeller code in as an
 > extention rather than linking it into the kernel. :)

Actually, I was thinking about that myself.  But the problem
is that the code is very closely integrated into the existing
syscons code (with a lot of #ifdef's, of course).

I have never programmed a KLD before (though I will have a
look into this when I have some spare time left), but it is
my understanding that KLDs are appropriate for parts of the
kernel which can be reasonably easy separated from the rest
of the kernel.  This is not the case for the propellers code.
Well, it could possibly be done, but it would require some
major design changes to syscons.

On the other hand, the propeller code adds about 5 Kbyte to
/kernel, which isn't that much.  And of course, I'm not
voting for putting it into GENERIC.

By the way, is there interest in giving the "Print Screen"
key an appropriate meaning, i.e. capturing a screenshot?
I have a few patches for this to implement that, I'd just
have to clean the code up and write a bit of documentation.
The GIF on the above webpage was created that way (along
with a small userland tool and netpbm).  I'm just asking.
If nobody cares, I will not bother putting more time and
effort into this.

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)