Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 08:26:06 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        up@3.am
Cc:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: partition sizes

On Wednesday, 15 December 1999 at 22:59:32 -0500, up@3.am wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, Sue Blake wrote:
>
>> I'm rebuilding an ancient ISP server as two new FreeBSD servers, basically
>> separating mail from the web/shell machine.
>>
>> Where there was two gigabytes to play with before (for the OS, swap,
>> logs, ...), I find myself staring at about 8 on the new drives, and
>> wondering how to make partitioning decisions that will still look
>> resonable some time down the track. (The data drives will be brought
>> across from the old system.)
>>
>> Apart from examining how the present system copes, is there something I
>> should be reading, or is it just a matter of experience, or are all ISP
>> systems started from best guesses and growed like Topsy? :-)
>
> for the mail server, I'd go:
>
> 500MB   /
> 1.5GB   /usr
> 4GB     /var  (put half of that in /home if you're using qmail)
> 2GB     /home
>
> For the web server (assuming customer sites are in ~):
>
> 500MB   /
> 2.5GB   /usr
> 1GB     /var
> 4GB     /home
>
> There are sooo many variables, of course...where are the customer web logs
> going to be? etc..)

With either of these suggestions, when you run out of space on one
partition, you'll have plenty on some other partition (probably / in
this case, unless you're putting /tmp there, which is a Bad Idea).
How can you possibly guess how big your /var file system will become?

I would recommend:

    50MB	/
    256MB	swap (don't forget that!)
    rest	/usr

Then create symlinks for /tmp, /var and, if you need, /home.  If you
need to restrict growth of a specific file system, use quotas.

If your disk is bigger than your backup tape, make enough equal-sized
partitions so that each fits on a single tape.

Greg