Date:      Sat, 18 Dec 1999 20:44:39 -0500
From:      "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>
To:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Devin Butterfield <dbutter@wireless.net>
Subject:   Re: VMware: Questions...

> I have just recently installed VMware and have stumbled on a several
> problems:

> 1. The virtual machine refuses to boot windoze boot floppies (my win95
> cdrom is not bootable). I tried 4 or 5 different floppies I had laying
> around and every time during the boot, the virtual machine appears to
> freeze right before you would expect the dos prompt to appear. As a
> result of this I had to build a virtual disk with windows on a linux box
> and ftp it over to my bsd box (vmware under linux does not have any
> problem with the boot floppies).
This is a strange. I have big experience with boot MS DOS 7.X (Windows 9X)
floppies, and never encounter the any problem. Try to press Shift-F8 and
trace the loading process.

> 2. When running VMware I see many messages saying: "linux: syscall
> setresuid is obsoleted or not implemented (pid=255)" going to the
> console.
I think you were ran vmware not from root?
And it's a completely true, the setresuid syscall not implemented in
linux emulator.

> 3. Perhaps related to 2., I notice that windows seems to freeze for 2-3
> seconds (with disk activity during this freeze and more messages like in
> 2. going to the console) every 3-4 minutes.
Probably 3. and 2. are non related.

> Is this somehow related to
> VMware needing a /dev/rtc device? If so, is there any practical way to
> satisfy this need?
I don't know what exactly VMware want from a /dev/rtc. The RTC already used in
kernel, so it doesn't have any chance to port a linux code.

--
Vladimir Silyaev