Date:      Sun, 19 Dec 1999 12:20:17 -0500
From:      "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>
To:        Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.org>
Cc:        "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>, freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG, Devin Butterfield <dbutter@wireless.net>
Subject:   Re: VMware: Questions...

On Sun, Dec 19, 1999 at 05:44:14PM +0100, Guido van Rooij wrote:
> > > 2. When running VMware I see many messages saying: "linux: syscall
> > > setresuid is obsoleted or not implemented (pid=255)" going to the
> > > console.
> > I think you were ran vmware not from root?
>
> The binary is setuid to root so that should not be a problem.
Yes, this is not a problem, but in such case vmware call the setresuid
syscall, which don't implemented in the Linux emulator. When you will run
the VMware from root (when uid==euid), setresuid will be never called.

> I am seeing the same freezes. I am running NT4 on a virtual drive.
> From time to time, the NT in vmware freezes. The IDE light on the vmware
> screen is off, yet there is a tremendous amount of disk activity
> going on (as seen from iostat or systat -vmstat). I am seeing
> 100 transaction per second.
I fill such freezes with linux as guest, but I never seen any disk activity
in that time. I don't have access to vmware sources or to any other source
of information, so I don't have any thinks about this freezes.

> There is no paging or swapping going on
> (as seen by FreeBSD), so I can only assume that something is happening
> inside the virtual drive.
Also vmware can write to the log file. You cat run truss at this time, when
such kind of freezes happened (this provide the fd of target file), and
than run fstat|grep 'fd', or much better lsof and you get the name of
a target  file.

> But it is NOT NT doing that because
> otherwise we'd see the IDE pseudo led on...
>
> Are there any people that run NT in vmware on a Linux box listening
> here? If so: do the see the same disk activity?
I hope that VMware on Linux doesn't have such kind of problem.

--
Vladimir Silyaev