Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 1999 01:51:53 +0300
From:      Alexey Zelkin <phantom@cris.net>
To:        Kurt Jaeger <pi@complx.LF.net>
Cc:        pi@LF.net, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: misc/13152: systemwide username too short (currently 16 char, should be 64 or so)

hi,

On Wed, Dec 22, 1999 at 07:10:55PM +0100, Kurt Jaeger wrote:

> > Synopsis: systemwide username too short (currently 16 char, should be 64 or so)
>
> > State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
> > State-Changed-By: phantom
> > State-Changed-When: Mon Dec 20 09:04:53 PST 1999
> > State-Changed-Why:
> > You did not provide any real example. My experience shown that 16 chars is *really*
> > enough. Anyway aliases(5) is your friend.
>
> My goal is it to set up a system that allows user-allocated (!) usernames
> for many different domains on one physical system.
>
> For this to work, I set up a scheme that allows something like
>
> 	user+domain
>
> as username.

Are you sure that it's impossible to do with NIS ?

> With the 16 chars limit, this failes very soon for domains longer than
> a few characters.
>
> This was the reason I asked for 64 chars.

Hmm... Don't you think that it should be *great* overhead in standalone
installation (proc, [uw]tmp, etc. etc. etc.) ?

> Aliases are nice for single/few-domain setups, not for systems with
> >>1000 domains on one system. Reason: collissions when selecting
> the "local" part of an account.
>
> I still think this should be part of Fbsd.

It's part of FreeBSD. It's possible to define user name length as long as you
need, but it's not need for everyone.

--
/* Alexey Zelkin                       && phantom@cris.net    */
/* Tavric National University          && phantom@crimea.edu  */