Date:      Mon, 27 Dec 1999 20:15:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike s <god@yahoo.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-docs@freebsd.org
Subject:   re:freebsd.org

On Mon, 27 Dec 1999, Nik Clayton wrote:
> Mike,
>
> On Sun, Dec 26, 1999 at 04:40:05PM -0800, Mike s
>wrote:
> > Well, i have already taking the iniative in
>starting
> > what it is i have been talking about.
>
> That's great.  It gives people a chance to see what
>you have in mind.
> Actions speak a lot louder than words.

I will have something to show within the next few
weeks, i have something up
already but i want to finish a bit more.

> > I have a lot of documentation that is done
already,  (
> > alot being 35% )
> > the site is very appealing for those that use
netscape
> > and the like and is also
> > lynx friendly.
>
> Also good.  I'd be interested in you collaborating
>with the rest of
> the doc team to try and get this in to the
'mainstream' site as well.

well the freebsd.org site is not what i want to
replace. I would be willing to
contribute to it as well. maybe another part of the
site ( e.g. newbies.freebsd.org )

> I have already coded alot of user/interactive parts
>of
> > the site in php.
>
> This is (sort of) the problem.
>
> PHP (or Zope, or Zend, or lots complicated CGI
>scripts) are great when
> you only have one site.  And one language.  And only
a few people working
> on it.

like i said earlier, planting he seed is what counts.
I'm sure others that are
fluent in foreign languages that i am not would
eventually make the conversion.
I would hope.

> As soon as you start using something less
mainstream, you start to reduce
> the number of people who can work on it, and, more
importantly, you increase
> the effort required to mirror it (and, quite
possibly, to translate it).

the different languages would be a problem being that
i only speak English
however, mirroring the site will not be difficult if
it was or was
not incorporated with freebsd.org, i have mirrored the
php.net site awhile back
when i first started to learn php and the way they had
set it up was rather
simple using rsync to mirror the site and a cron job
to keep the mirror's up to
date.

however, there were a few bugs that would need some
sort of work around. so in
short i agree with you. There are pro's and con's in
the way php.net mirrors
their site.

> If you look at the FreeBSD site as it is at the
moment, you'll see it's
> mirrored in sixty countries, and translated in to
five languages.

I never said i wanted to replace freebsd.org. I have
consistantly said it would
be a seperate entity entirely. Now you guys are
opening my mind up to a much
larger project then i had in mind. Which was initially
not my intentions.

> That's possible because the site's infrastructure is
relatively basic.
> The mirrors don't need to worry about setting up a
complex webserver,
> all they need is basic CGI functionality, and the
translation teams just
> need to be familiar with HTML, there's nothing extra
they need to learn.
> This keeps the effort requirement down, and
increases the chance that
> people will participate.

Documentation for mirroring the freebsd.org site is
lacking majorily.
i attempted to do it once and was unsuccesful.

> Looking at your list of proposed content;
>
> > before launching the alpha site it will include:
> >
> > -a step by step installation process focused on
the
> > novice.
> > -troubleshooting
> > -basic networking support
> > -getting Connected to the internet
> > -all man pages marked outdated/up to date
> > -using CVSup and make world
> > -security related support
> > -what services need to be running for specific
server
> > purposes
> > -performance optimization
> > -understanding log files
> > -understanding /etc/*.conf files for the novice
> > -most common asked questions  with simple
solutions (
> > Not FAQ's )
> > -FreeBSD command reference.
> > -UID's and GID's  file permissions
> > -introduction to firewalls.
> > -mailing list archives which users will be able to
> > send and recieve via the web
>
> With the exception of the mailing list archives,
there's nothing there
> that can't be done with the FreeBSD site as it is,
and;

again,  the documentation on Freebsd.org is not very
simple to navigate around
or understand for the novice/newbie. that is what i
want to focus on ( the
newbie ), rather than an overwheming description with
alot of info that newbies
would only be able to understand 10% if  even.
 It would be easier im my opinion to redo the whole
site then it would to pick
through what is outdated and what is not.

> > the beauty of the site is that user can submit
> > comments to the documentation
> > also add documentation to the subject in mind that
> > will be pre-formatted
> > to the site once submitted and at the bottom of
the
> > page will be links to all
> > the comments and additional documentation.
>
> That's a nice idea.  I'd be interested in something
like this for the
> FreeBSD site that automatically included a link to
the outstanding PRs
> for a piece of documentation.

This part i have almost fully completed the code for.
Making it work with
freebsd.org would need a lot of tweaking.

 > However, your approach won't scale to new
languages, or to mirror sites,
> without a lot of effort, and it's issues like these
that we have to
> consider for the main FreeBSD site.
>
 > Also, consider how the user will be able to get
their documentation.  Will
> it only be available from your site?  A lot of
people have dial up
> connections, and won't want to recheck a new site
each week on the off
> chance that some comments have been added to a
document.

well the code already has an option that would email a
notification of new
comments to users that have submitted comments to the
documentation at
hand, along with a newsletter with updates to the site
( which is undetermined
how often it will be sent ).

>  How will they be
> able to keep local copies of your documentation?
Will they be able to
> download Postscript or PDF versions for pretty
printing.

like i said this would be alpha, these things would
fit more into the beta
release. I have pondered this already and have ideas
on how to implement this.
but nothing set in stone thus far.

> Or even suitable
> for installing in to a Palm Pilot[1].

Palm pilots, well quite honestly i have never owned
one and do not know how
they work.

> I'm not trying to be negative -- I deeply appreciate
that you want to help,
> and that you're prepared to put the time in to doing
some work on what you
> see as being problems.

I think it is time for me to write another email to
recapitulate everythng that
has been discussed and also clearify some key points
of interest both on my
part and what others have suggested to me. Which i
will do tomorrow sometime.

mike
god@yahoo.com