Date:      Mon, 27 Dec 1999 22:30:23 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Kip Macy <kip@lyris.com>
Cc:        "Mr. K." <bsd@inbox.org>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: panic

> > I was not root when this happened, so, basically, you're saying that
> > freebsd is not meant for a production environment where untrusted users
> > have telnet access?
>
> As far as I can tell, yes. Until default per user mbuf limitations or some
> such thing is in place no amount of mbufs will prevent intentionally bad
> code from downing the machine. My understanding is that this was not a
> problem in 2.x.

It's a fundamental problem with the BSD mbuf architecture.  It's not
something that as many people were seeing with 2.2 simply because people
weren't pushing systems as hard back then.

There's a conscious tradeoff between raw performance and tuning
requirement in the BSD mbuf allocator.  You can't add more buffering once
the system has started, so you need to tune at kernel build or load time.
The upside from this is that certain critical network buffer operations
are extremely efficient.

Work is underway (and in fact mostly complete) to reduce the fataility of
mbuf starvation to the system, but the fact remains that correct tuning
of the BSD kernel is and always has been critical to performance and
robustness.