Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 2019 08:53:23 -0600
From:      Adam Weinberger <adamw@adamw.org>
To:        Paul Pathiakis <pathiaki2@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ISC-DHCPD-Server

> On Apr 10, 2019, at 07:38, Paul Pathiakis via freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports=
@freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
> Hi,
> At the end of the install, it says that dhcpd will run with it's root at: =
 /var/db/dhcpd
> I'm curious.  Is there some security reason that I'm missing?  Why wouldn'=
t this be in:  /usr/local/var/db/dhcpd  ?
> I'm very happy with the ongoing push to keep everything that isn't OS in t=
he /usr/local hierarchy.  Quite frankly, it just makes sense kind of like "I=
t just works".  :D
> I'm hoping that, someday, even mail will be there but I understand there's=
 some history there.
> Thank you!

Hi Paul,

For security reasons, many users mount /usr/local read-only. We assume that /=
var is RW, so files that are expected to change are supposed to be there ins=
tead of under /usr/local.

# Adam

=E2=80=94
Adam Weinberger