Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2001 07:48:48 -0500
From:      "Oliver, Michael W." <oliver.michael@gargantuan.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FW: Tiny starter configuration for FreeBSD

Anthony,

It doesn't take much to run FreeBSD, and I have found it to be very
thrifty in terms of resource usage.  In fact, I had recently built a
firewall on an old IBM ThinkPad 760C (Pentium 90Mhz, 16MB RAM, 730MB HD)
with two PCMCIA NICs, and it ran beautifully!  Like you are planning, I
ran this machine from across the LAN, and never bothered with X
(although I am sure that I would have seen a performance hit running X,
it wouldn't have been _too_ bad...).

I have a suggestion for you, though!  If you are just contemplating your
first BSD/UNIX system, why not get an evaluation copy of VMWARE and run
FreeBSD within a VM on your WINNT system?  That is what I did from the
start, and you have the advantage of being at the console of both your
Windoze and BSD system without getting out of the chair.  If you find
that you really like it, then get dedicated hardware for it, or retire
your current Windoze hardware for use with FreeBSD and get the new
hardware for WINNT/2k/XP (God knows that they need it...).

Just my $.02

Michael