Date:      Sun, 12 Jul 2015 22:01:59 -0500
From:      "Herminio Hernandez Jr. " <herminio.hernandezjr@gmail.com>
To:        Justin Hibbits <jrh29@alumni.cwru.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: fan funning high on base system

Once I finished building Xorg and my video drivers, I did a reboot. Then log=
ged in again and started X. All was good and my fans were quiet. Now on to b=
uild my DE!

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 12, 2015, at 12:31 PM, Justin Hibbits <jrh29@alumni.cwru.edu> wrote=
:
>=20
> Hi,
>=20
> On Jul 12, 2015 8:17 AM, "Herminio Hernandez Jr" <herminio.hernandezjr@gma=
il.com> wrote:

> > I have the base system installed on my iBook G4, but the fans are runnin=
g like crazy. During the install I selected the powerd service to control cp=
u scaling, but I am not sure if it is working. It could since I am installin=
g the port for xorg I just to be sure that there is not another port I need t=
o install to manage cpu and fans on powerpc. Thanks!

> > --
> > Herminio Hernandez Jr <herminio.hernandezjr@gmail.com>
>=20
> The fans should be temperature controlled, which can be disabled through t=
he machdep.manage_fans sysctl. All temperatures and fan speeds can be seen w=
ith sysctl as well. I think the iBook uses the adt746x, but you can just gre=
p for 'temp', 'pwm', and 'rpm' for the data, maybe a sensor is finding a rea=
lly high temperature. If you're building anything the temperature does sound=
 and the fans go nuts, but afterwards they should quiet down.