Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 2003 12:59:47 -0700
From:      Joshua Graessley <jgraessley@apple.com>
To:        "William A.Carrel" <william.a@carrel.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: setsockopt IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP not honored

--Apple-Mail-13-412358293

This is "by design". When you perform IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP, it assures you
that the interface you've selected will receive packets destined for
the multicast address you specify. It will deal with any IGMP traffic
necessary for joining the group.

When a packet is received on any interface, the packet is matched up to
any number of sockets. This matching is based on the address and port
the socket is bound to. This chunk of the code that matches a packet up
to an interface does not check to see if that socket joined the
multicast group on that specific interface.

Some applications may rely on this behavior, so it might be unwise to
change it. If you're going to make this change, you should probably
make it some sort of socket option that applications can opt in to on a
per socket basis.

-josh

--Apple-Mail-13-412358293--