Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 2023 04:38:55 +0200
From:      "Alfonso S. Siciliano" <alfix86@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-accessibility@freebsd.org
Subject:   Call for testing: portoptscli

Hello list,

Some time ago I announced my intention to implement a new utility to
configure ports interactively via a CLI [1]. Because other tools use TUI
and seem unsuitable for speech synthesizers. The new utility is
portoptscli (Port Options Command Line Interface) [2]. The version 0.0.1
is available. I tested with Orca.

To install and use:
% git clone https://gitlab.com/alfix/portoptscli.git
% cd portoptscli
% make
Just make because the utility has no dependencies. Then add to
/etc/make.conf:
DIALOG4PORTS=/absolute/path/to/portoptscli
Now 'make config' in a port directory will use portoptscli to set up the
port options.

Of course a manual page is available. To read: 'cd' to the git cloned
directory and 'man ./portoptscli.1'.
A README with intro, demo, commands, and extra info is available [3].
Please note, the README describes 2 installation ways via port and
package, I submitted a PR to add portoptscli in the FreeBSD port/package
repository but it is still a Work In Progress [4]; so you should build
the utility using 'git clone' and 'make' like described previously.

Portoptscli can be a laboratory and a starting point to understand the
best way to provide accessible menu, checklist, radiolist and other
existing TUI components to set up and install the OS. Please let me know
any problem, idea, and tip. The utility prints correct info on the
screen but my hearing is not perfect, I may have misunderstood some word
or sound.

[1] Terminal Reader and Text User Interface
utilities<https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-accessibility/2023-April/000025.html>.
[2] Repository <https://gitlab.com/alfix/portoptscli>.
[3] README <https://gitlab.com/alfix/portoptscli/-/raw/main/README.txt>.
[4] PR portoptscli package <https://bugs.freebsd.org/273202>.