Date:      Fri, 22 Oct 2010 21:21:56 +0000
From:      Bernhard Froehlich <decke@bluelife.at>
To:        Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@freebsd.org>, vbox@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Virtualbox UI and remote X clients

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 15:02:20 -0500, Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> It would appear that ever since 3.2.8_1 of virtualbox-ose, a number
> of additions were made to unconditionally enable some kind of hardware
> acceleration in the UI.
>
> This completely breaks the UI with a variety of QT errors, when
> running on a remote X11 displays, so far I've tested X11.app and
> XQuartz.app on OSX, cygwin/X on Windows 7/XP, and even an Xvnc server
> running on a FreeBSD/amd64 box.

Could you please post that errors? It sounds like an upstream bug so it
would be good to collect a few details like why it happens on your
system bug I cannot reproduce it here with Intel graphics. Do you
probably have nvidia graphics or anything special? Maybe the bug you are
hitting was already fixed upstream so could you test the
virtualbox-ose-devel port [1] and see if the problem persists?

Sure we could make an option for that patch or revert it but that won't
fix the underlying problem that it uncovered. So I would really like to
get it at least analyzed first and if it cannot get fixed we can always
disable it.

[1] http://svn.bluelife.at/nightlies/virtualbox-port.tar.gz

--
Bernhard Fröhlich