Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2000 09:23:57 +0100
From:      Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
To:        Markus Holmberg <saska@acc.umu.se>
Cc:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Should -mieee-fp equal fpsetmask(0) to avoid SIGFPE on FreeBSD?

--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP

Summary of following: The mozilla construction is a speed hack and it
would usually work when exceptions are disabled. However, it is slower
than the real thing would be and is hence useless and dangerous.

In <20000105055138.A74746@fysgr387.sn.umu.se>, Markus Holmberg wrote:
> To my understanding, there isn't a flaw in the Mozilla code. What is
> happening is that a cast is made to test if a value inside a double
> actually is just an int! If it wasn't, no harm is done and the double
> will be continued to be treaten as a double.
>
> That's is how I've interpreted it. To see where the macro in question
> (that generates the SIGFPE's) is defined and used, check this link:
>
> http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/ident?i=JSDOUBLE_IS_INT
>
> Here's the definition:
>
> #define JSDOUBLE_IS_INT(d, i) (JSDOUBLE_IS_FINITE(d) && \
> 	!JSDOUBLE_IS_NEGZERO(d) && ((d) == (i = (jsint)(d))))

Ah, OK, this macro is a conversion where the undefined result of the
(int)double_bigger_max_int is (intentionally) used as a speed hack of
a range check.

The only problems is that it isn't faster than correct code.

It is true that in practice it this macro will work as intended when
exceptions are disabled, because:

While the result of
  (int)double_bigger_max_int
is undefined, you will usually get an i that is filled with any
integer value. If d was > INT_MAX, the == with return nil for any
value of i. Hence the thing works if the programmer remembers only to
use i if the macro return true.

Beside the fact that I don't like this construction style-wise, I have
two problems with it:

1) In C, when an expression is undefined, *anything* may happen. You
   cannot depend on the fact that the code behaves as if i was filled
   with an integer at all. This is not ANSI C conformant. An
   conformant ANSI C compiler may make assumptions about this code
   that break it.

2) This speed hack is already weakend: If you look into the header
   file in Mozilla, you will find that the IS_FINITE and IS_NEGZERO
   was added to make MSVC++ happy, because it will run into
   exceptions otherwise.

The alternative to this hack is a normal range check. This will work
because behaviour is defined for comparisions on infinite and other
exceptional values.

You would get:
- ANSI C conformance.
- Make VC++ happy.
- Make the code ready to leave those FPU exceptions enabled that
  indicate real and serious problems.
- On my machine, it is actually faster than the current version.

Here's one version, implemented as an inline function. A complete
runnable example comparing the Mozilla construction (including
timekeeping) to this one is appended. On my machines, the conforming
version is 2-3 times faster than the Mozilla hack (and it doesn't
trigger exceptions).

static inline int cra_is_int(const double d, int *const i)
{
  if (d <= (double)INT_MAX && d >= (double)INT_MIN) {
    *i = (int)d;
    return 1;
  } else
    return 0;
}

I can only urge the Mozilla team to use clean constructions and leave
their hands off speed hacks that trigger undefined behaviour. The
project needs reliability first, and then speed. In this case, you
don't even get speed.

Martin
--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org> http://www.cons.org/cracauer/

--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP

#include <stdio.h>
#include <limits.h>
#include <sys/time.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <floatingpoint.h>

#if defined(SysV) || defined(__svr4__)
#include <limits.h>
#include <time.h>
#include <sys/times.h>
#else
#include <sys/resource.h>
#endif

typedef __uint32_t uint32;
typedef int jsint;

/* -*- Mode: C; tab-width: 8; indent-tabs-mode: nil; c-basic-offset: 4 -*-
 *
 * The contents of this file are subject to the Netscape Public
 * License Version 1.1 (the "License"); you may not use this file
 * except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of
 * the License at http://www.mozilla.org/NPL/
 *
 * Software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS
 * IS" basis, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, either express oqr
 * implied. See the License for the specific language governing
 * rights and limitations under the License.
 *
 * The Original Code is Mozilla Communicator client code, released
 * March 31, 1998.
 *
 * The Initial Developer of the Original Code is Netscape
 * Communications Corporation.  Portions created by Netscape are
 * Copyright (C) 1998 Netscape Communications Corporation. All
 * Rights Reserved.
 *
 * Contributor(s):
 *
 * Alternatively, the contents of this file may be used under the
 * terms of the GNU Public License (the "GPL"), in which case the
 * provisions of the GPL are applicable instead of those above.
 * If you wish to allow use of your version of this file only
 * under the terms of the GPL and not to allow others to use your
 * version of this file under the NPL, indicate your decision by
 * deleting the provisions above and replace them with the notice
 * and other provisions required by the GPL.  If you do not delete
 * the provisions above, a recipient may use your version of this
 * file under either the NPL or the GPL.
 */

/*
 * JS number (IEEE double) interface.
 *
 * JS numbers are optimistically stored in the top 31 bits of 32-bit integers,
 * but floating point literals, results that overflow 31 bits, and division and
 * modulus operands and results require a 64-bit IEEE double.  These are GC'ed
 * and pointed to by 32-bit jsvals on the stack and in object properties.
 *
 * When a JS number is treated as an object (followed by . or []), the runtime
 * wraps it with a JSObject whose valueOf method returns the unwrapped number.
 */

#define IS_LITTLE_ENDIAN

#ifdef IS_LITTLE_ENDIAN
#define JSDOUBLE_HI32(x)        (((uint32 *)&(x))[1])
#define JSDOUBLE_LO32(x)        (((uint32 *)&(x))[0])
#else
#define JSDOUBLE_HI32(x)        (((uint32 *)&(x))[0])
#define JSDOUBLE_LO32(x)        (((uint32 *)&(x))[1])
#endif
#define JSDOUBLE_HI32_SIGNBIT   0x80000000
#define JSDOUBLE_HI32_EXPMASK   0x7ff00000
#define JSDOUBLE_HI32_MANTMASK  0x000fffff

#define JSDOUBLE_IS_NaN(x)                                                    \
    ((JSDOUBLE_HI32(x) & JSDOUBLE_HI32_EXPMASK) == JSDOUBLE_HI32_EXPMASK &&   \
     (JSDOUBLE_LO32(x) || (JSDOUBLE_HI32(x) & JSDOUBLE_HI32_MANTMASK)))

#define JSDOUBLE_IS_INFINITE(x)                                               \
    ((JSDOUBLE_HI32(x) & ~JSDOUBLE_HI32_SIGNBIT) == JSDOUBLE_HI32_EXPMASK &&   \
     !JSDOUBLE_LO32(x))

#define JSDOUBLE_IS_FINITE(x)                                                 \
    ((JSDOUBLE_HI32(x) & JSDOUBLE_HI32_EXPMASK) != JSDOUBLE_HI32_EXPMASK)

#define JSDOUBLE_IS_NEGZERO(d)  (JSDOUBLE_HI32(d) == JSDOUBLE_HI32_SIGNBIT && \
                                 JSDOUBLE_LO32(d) == 0)

/*
 * JSDOUBLE_IS_INT first checks that d is neither NaN nor infinite, to avoid
 * raising SIGFPE on platforms such as Alpha Linux, then (only if the cast is
 * safe) leaves i as (jsint)d.  This also avoid anomalous NaN floating point
 * comparisons under MSVC.
 */
#define JSDOUBLE_IS_INT(d, i) (JSDOUBLE_IS_FINITE(d) && !JSDOUBLE_IS_NEGZERO(d) \
                               && ((d) == (i = (jsint)(d))))

static inline int cra_is_int(const double d, int *const i)
{
  if (d <= (double)INT_MAX && d >= (double)INT_MIN) {
    *i = (int)d;
    return 1;
  } else
    return 0;
}

static double cpu_so_far(void)
{
#if defined(SysV) || defined(__svr4__)
  struct tms tms;

  if (times(&tms) == -1)
    io_error("times");
  return ((double) tms.tms_utime) / ((double) CLK_TCK) +
    ((double) tms.tms_stime) / ((double) CLK_TCK);

#else
  struct rusage rusage;

  getrusage(RUSAGE_SELF, &rusage);
  return
    ((double) rusage.ru_utime.tv_sec) +
      (((double) rusage.ru_utime.tv_usec) / 1000000.0) +
        ((double) rusage.ru_stime.tv_sec) +
          (((double) rusage.ru_stime.tv_usec) / 1000000.0);
#endif
}

int main(void)
{
  double time;
  int count;
  double d;
  int i;
  int res;
  const int n = 5000000;

  fpsetmask(0);

  time = cpu_so_far();
  d = INT_MIN + n / 2;
  count = 0;
  for (i = 0; i < n; i++) {
    d--;
    if (JSDOUBLE_IS_INT(d, res))
      count++;
  }
  printf("JS : %d values were valid, time: %.2f sec\n",
	 count, cpu_so_far() - time);

  time = cpu_so_far();
  d = INT_MAX - n / 2;
  count = 0;
  for (i = 0; i < n; i++) {
    d++;
    if (cra_is_int(d, &res))
      count++;
  }
  printf("cra: %d values were valid, time: %.2f sec\n",
	 count, cpu_so_far() - time);

  return 0;
}

--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP--